Thursday, September 3, 2009

How long is too long???

Ok, so as I am going to my college class tonight, I run into not 1, not 2, but 3 of my past students. This normally wouldn't be a bad thing, but as I saw the inevitable "Hey, Mrs. Cluck! Are you teaching out here? What's going on?" question coming; the feeling of impending doom set in as I had to, once again say "No I'm not teaching, I am actually taking classes....yeah I want to increase my certification level...ok, well, I better get to class...Have a great class and don't forget to study...bye"

Seriously, how embarrassing is it to be taking cl assess to earn a degree right along with the students that I taught in High School last year?? Thank the Lord that none of them are in my class, because I am pretty sure I would have to withdraw from the class!!

How is this possible...well, I'll tell you....I started out of High School at a communications company as a receptionist, then was promoted to a trainer. I trained state government and private companies on how to use their phone and voicemail systems. Then I moved to a technology training firm and became a Certified Technical Trainer. I took a huge number of tests on almost every program available and became a Master Instructor for Microsoft. Then I moved to a government office and became a network administrator, a fancy way of saying I controlled all of their computers. I also taught technology classes at our local community college for about 5 years. Yeah, I worked alot. I was a single mom for 6 years, so the extra money was needed. Then I was offered a job at a Career Center or Vocational Center teaching business classes to high school kids where I attained what is called a State Board of Education Vocational Teaching Certificate. The teaching certificate allows me to teach in a specialized field, meaning I can teach 6th -12 grade students as many classes related to technology as I want from accounting to graphic and website design, but I can't substitute for an English, history, or math teacher. Nope, I still didn't have a degree.

Then my position at CACC was reduced to part time due to funding, which was not good financially, and that is also the school year that Jacob passed, so when one of my friends called about the business and technology teacher opening at out local school district, I jumped right on it. I was hired and this will be my 2nd year at the school. I really love it!

So, yes I am a high school teacher with a teaching certificate and a ton of technical certifications, but without a "DEGREE". I don't feel that I am a bad teacher because of this fact, actually, I feel like I am better able to teach business classes having worked in the business world for so long before becoming a teacher. But I do feel lesser, personally, when I am in a group of my peers with 4 year degrees and I am not one of them and when my students ask me where I went to college and I have to change the subject. Hence my current enrollment in college. But really, when is it too late? At this rate I'll be trying to get my degree when Trystan, is enrolling in college or I might end up taking a class that is taught by a former student!!!

Lord, please light my path!!!

Have a Blessed Day!

April

2 comments:

Dana said...

When Adam and I first got married, I was in classes with some of the kids that had been in our youth ministry. It was weird. I don't think it's ever too late but I see where your coming from. I guess when you've already done the job, it feels like you're just going to school for the piece of paper that said you did.

Dan Warren said...

Actually I don't know why you should be embarassed. I think you are still teaching and inspiring your former students by showing them that improving oneself is a lifelong committment. Instead of saying to yourself, "my teaching certificate is good enough" and settling into the mediocrity of your comfort zone, you have moved out of your comfort zone, as is obvious by your post, to improve and become an even better teacher, not only for yourself, but for the students you teach and will teach in the years to come.