Friday, June 18, 2010

Happy Father's Day..."Ubber Cool" Project Included

Let’s give a great round of applause and big bear hugs to those amazing guys in our lives that hold dear the roles of DAD to us and to our children. Though at times they may drive us insane, they would be sorely missed if they weren’t here. To those who for any reason may no longer be here…you are very missed and loved.


So for this father’s day, I was trying to think of something to give my guy and had intended on getting him a leaf blower…until the reality of the dreaded BUDGET took hold and I realized that the $120.00 I needed just slipped into the hands of accounts receivable reps and out of my checking account. So, what to do now… as I sat in the Dr.’s waiting room flipping through a magazine and came across a super neat and inexpensive Father’s Day project… Dad’s Tape Measure. So this morning I made one (it only took about 15 minutes from start to finish) and showed it to my older boys (10, 12, & 13) who also thought it was “Uber Cool” and here is what we ended up with…



Interested??? Here is what you need:


• Mac N Cheese Box or other rectangular box

• Strip of paper cut to fit inside the box

• Markers (desired color/s)

• Tape or double sided tape

• Duct tape (desired color)

Here’s what to do…

1. Pour noodles and cheese packet into a Ziploc bag to make later

2. Cut box in half making two square pieces

o Reserve one half that looks like a square

o Cut other half into the shape of a triangle

3. Mark the strip of paper to look like a ruler


4. Write a message under the measure marks

5. Tape the paper to the inside of the square box so that it coils into the top of the box and the message can be seen when pulled from the box



6. Slide the triangle box into the square box enclosing the tape measure message inside…make sure to leave some of the paper hanging out so that it can be pulled out to reveal the message.

7. Cover the combined boxes with the duct tape both securing the two boxes together and covering the original box covering

8. Tape a soda can tab to the paper hanging out of the box so that it looks like a lip and can be used to pull the message out and also keep it from slipping inside the taped box. I used small pieces of duct tape to make a lip on the one that I made and it worked fine too.

9. Decorate the outside of the box as desired… I had my boys write their names and the year on the bottom side of the “tape Measure”

10. TA DAAA!!! Dad’s Tape Measure…a gift he’s guaranteed to keep in his hearts toolbox.

If my boys thought it was great; then I’m sure your kids will like it too and so will dad.

My instructions may not be the greatest so I found the link to the magazine article at Family Fun.

Have a Blessed Father’s day!!!

April


1 comment:

The Mom-tage said...

What a GREAT idea!
That is super cute and seems fairly easy! I will be filing that one away for the future!

~Holly
www.themomtage.com