Thursday, November 18, 2010

It's About Time...

Or the lack of it. Where has the time gone? I need more time. Time is of the essence. We're running out of time. These are a few of the lines that have been running through my head and out of my mouth for the past few months and boy are they true in every situation. We have been so busy and blessed that IF I get the chance to sit for a minute...I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I need to be doing something constantly.

Time is a treasure that is unique unto itself. It is the only thing that passes without ever stopping. Can't be rewound or fast forwarded. Can be given and taken, used to full advantage and squandered. It can make or break relationships, food, and everything else except plastic... And once it's gone...it's gone.

Time is a gift from God and he intends for us to use it wisely and in service to Him by being a blessing to our families and to others around us. I think that means trying to find a balance between taking care of my family and home with doing outside of the home. Right now, that is an area where I struggle, as God have given me the spiritual gift of administration and service so I'm pretty much an organized worker who sees more efficient ways of doing things and therefore want to make things work better than before and I am often asked to do so by most of those around me....that would be the gift of administration.

How I approach this can be good or bad. In reference to my family...yes I take care of them, BUT since I do so much FOR them, am I not enabling them to become lazy and just know that Mom will take care of it. I have found that to be true. Instead of just doing, I must teach them how to organize themselves and keep track of things like assignments and due dates instead of constantly reminding them of what they have going on. Letting go of that and letting your kids fail in order to learn is VERY VERY difficult for me.

As far a giving of time, I often just say sure I can do that because I feel the need to help...that would be the gift of service. What I am finding is that I often OVER schedule or OVER volunteer to the point that I feel like I am only seeing my family in passing or that I am staying up into all hour of the night trying to finish everything I need to get done.

So where is the balance??? This is what I am trying to to do find that balance. When I am asked to do something, I am trying to remember to say "Let me check my calendar" instead of just saying yes without thinking about the other goings on in that time frame. I am trying to be in bed by 10:00 or 10:30 on 3 out of the 7 days of the week. I am trying to ask myself if the kids are capable, not do they want to, but are they capable of completing this task by themselves and letting them do it when the answer is yes. And I am trying to make myself realize that my expectations of myself are what I am trying to reach and often times they are unrealistic. For instance, if I have a photo session on Saturday, those people don't expect their pictures to be reviewed, edited, and posted within 24 hours...but that is my expectation of myself.

So far, these few "sanity savers" have been working for me. I have only been doing it for like 7 days, but I have noticed that I am making more quality time for my family, the schedule seems a bit less chaotic (still full but not over full), kids are doing stuff, and I am not up until 1 or 2 am so often because I have a little more time to get things done during the day. And I have even worked out for the past two days!!!

It is about time...and how we choose to use it...that ultimately reveals a life of fulfillment and happiness that both God and we can be proud of.

Have a Blessed Day!!
April

1 comment:

BASSakward Tales said...

i think that all us women are guilty of overbooking our time...thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful post...it gave me some ideas about our house and calendar and time...i hope you have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!